It is very common to have feelings of doubt about adopting a pet. It’s a big deal and a serious adjustment, and you’re allowed to have conflicting feelings about it. You’ve been imagining having a dog, and the reality is just always going to be different – it’s a living creature, and you have to get used to each other and get to know each other just like anybody else. The very fact that you’re concerned about being a good owner makes you very likely to be one. All the exciting and challenging experiences will drive your pet to adapt to your family and radiate a love that any human or animal wants and deserves.
If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.
- You’ll save a life
- You’ll get a great animal
- It will cost you less
- Little Giant’s Rockin’ Dog Town makes it easy!
These are just a few of many reasons why adopting a pet is the right decision. For example, the longer we wait to adopt a pet, the more opportunity we give to puppy mills to stay in business through deceptive tactics. Not only does this protect people from getting tricked, but it also opens opportunities for dogs to join more safe and happy homes.
When you adopt a dog, you will be faced with a lot of responsibilities. But this is also a great opportunity to start a strong relationship with your new fuzzy friend. Here are 10 tips that will help you get through these unfamiliar stages:
- Make sure the dog has all the supplies it needs
- Get your home ready
- Provide your dog with a safe area
- Plan how and when you will bring your dog home
- Show your dog around the house
- Explore the yard with your dog on a leash
- Introduce your dog to everyone in the family
- Transition your dog’s food slowly.
- Do not wait until the last minute before training your dog
- Analyze what your dog does and doesn’t like
Understanding these basics will help you feel confident and comfortable in your new dog’s surroundings and will make it easier for your new companion to join your family!